Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Biggest Loser--my review

I know that this is going to upset some readers, especially since I know quite a few people involved with BeachBody and other fitness regimens are fanatical about The Biggest Loser, but it really is the bain of this personal trainer's existence.

I sat down to eat dinner last night and instead of surfing the web, I decided to channel surf (a rarity for me, I know!). I stumbled on The Biggest Loser. Now even though I'm such a health and fitness NUT, I've NEVER been a big fan of this show. I'm not a fan of either of the trainers; I'm not a fan of the methods they go about teaching the people what to do and how to do it. I actually cringe most times I see this show. Don't get me wrong. Kudos to the people who manage to turn their lives around from the show....but as a TRAINER observing and evaluating it, I would NOT go about it this way.
But, for some reason last night, I stopped on it. I wish I hadn't. I turned it on right in time to hear the final challenge--to train for and run a marathon in 26 days. Are you friggin kidding me?!?!?! (First of all one of the contestants said that people train a year out from a marathon.....no not really) What the....What in heaven's name is this company trying to do to these people?!?!? I CERTAINLY do not think like Mike did where 'fat people don't run marathons'. But you know who doesn't successfully run marathons? Untrained people. Over-trained people. Non-runners. I've trained for two marathons--successfully finished one--and let me tell you the way to train for it is NOT like Jillian Michaels said run and run and run and run and run some more. No that's the way to hurt yourself. That's stupid. That's a great way to get (*gasp*) hip injuries, knee injuries, foot injuries, shin splints. You name it that is your risk. 26 days. I wanted to bark at someone. What ever-loving IDIOTS those people are. I turned it off before I saw who (if any) finished. I think that the trainers did not boycott this idea altogether because of the ABSURDITY of it is ridiculous and careless on their parts. I am a believer that anyone who wants a marathon finisher's medal badly enough will make it theirs....but not in the way that they were going about it.

The next MAJOR issue I had is Jillian Michaels (I'm not a fan of this chick can you tell?). She sat down with one of her contestants to hear from her that she was in the gym one day working out for 6 hours. WHAT?!?!?!?! SIX HOURS?!?!?!?!?! For the edification of everyone watching who might think that what they are doing is right and the person who said she did this, I want to know why Jillian did not, right then and there ask what in heaven's name was she in the gym for six hours for!!!!! I have no idea how long Jillian and whatever the other trainer's name is have their clients working out for....but seriously SIX HOURS?!?!?! And for a FITNESS PROFESSIONAL to say NOTHING!?!?!?! That's neglect in my mind.

I have to say this: Like I said I have no idea how long the trainers have their contestants working out for, but last night's show sealed the deal for me that I will NEVER watch that show. I will NEVER support a show that doesn't TRULY teach people to CHANGE their lives--not bring them to a deserted ranch and then send them on their way with fingers crossed that they won't crash and burn. No....teach them to fish and they'll fish for a lifetime. Show them how and expect them to get it?!?!?! Stupid absurd ridiculous foolish crazy insane.

More power to the contestants.....a smack upside the head to the producers with the stupid ideas and the trainers who go along with it. Jillian may know her fitness stuff or not.....but she's hollywood. All hollywood. Being led by the $$$$$$$ not doing much good for everyone around though, viewers and contestants alike.

No comments: