Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Make some changes

I wanted to toss out there what is going on in my training. My new schedule (posted in a blog earlier) is going very well, but I decided to change up how I workout a bit in order to keep the results coming. I'm really enjoying the changes.

First of all in the schedule, I did not add in many doubles. I wanted to keep it free and allow it to do it as I'd be motivated, rather than have it be a chore and not bring it quite as well and much. I told myself that I wanted to do at least three doubles a week (including the Saturday/Sunday doubles that I have on the schedule). I wanted to get on the treadmill and enjoy some great runs as well. This has really worked on the weeks that I've been super pumped and ready to bring it. On the weeks that I struggled, it was good because I still did my regular workout and brought it with that, but didn't drag myself through and waste my time on a cardio workout that I was not feeling whatsoever.

Second of all, I usually lift heavy and feel the burn after 8-10 reps. This is my comfort zone. I have been kicking myself out of the comfort zone, though, and have been lightening the weight so that I feel the burn after a higher rep range (the series of workouts that I do, do 80 squats, as an example, with different counts and pulsing through the series) with focus being on form, depth/range of motion, sloooooow moves, and focusing on the muscle to feel the burn. Let me tell you, I have been feeling the burn. My concession statement to this is: You cannot get any results if you aren't feeling any burn. If you feel no burn through the series of reps (even in the middle of the series), you need to increase the weight. Since you are doing a higher number of reps keep the increase percentage quite low--10% or so. Not much more....if 10% isn't enough, increase it again in your next workout, focus on form, holding the counts, and using a slightly larger range of motion for the pulses)

Have you kicked yourself out of your comfort zone in a while? Have you treaded into unfamiliar territory? Venture somewhere new for a few weeks for something different--and results. Then stroll right back to your comfort zone for a bit--but don't stay there long!!

No comments: