Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Our little buddy the adaptogen :)

(Expect more to come about this as I read more about it!! There's alot to know, apparently!! :) I can't wait to keep reading!!)

WOOOHOOOO!!!! I finally found something!!!!!!!

Since the webinar about Shakeology (for coaches), I have learned a new term. That term is 'adaptogen'. There are 6 adaptogens in Shakeology. This is part of the phyto-nutrients (which is one of the 6 categories of ingredients: proteins/amino acids, nutrients and minerals, prebiotics, anti-oxidants, digestive enzymes, and phyto-nutrients)

Adaptogen is apparently the 'up & coming' term in the nutrition world. Being the one constantly reading and researching, I latched onto that term like a leech and have been trying to find a good source of info to learn more and I finally did!!!!! WOOOHOOO

Based on my research, I have found that adaptogens are defined as 'plant derived agents that help to adapt the body or protect it from stress.'
In order to be considered an adaptogen it must be nontoxic to consume; produce nonspecific response in the body, such as increase in the resistance against stressors (good and bad stressors); have a normalizing effect on physiology (!!!! for someone in the research field!!! I want to research this one further!! That would be hard to uncover info for though, I'm sure....). Adaptogens can balance endocrine hormones as well as the immune system, allowing the body to maintain perfect balance.

I am soooo bummed that it is sooo freakin late (AGAIN!!!) because I just found a cool link!! 'Clinical Studies and Research' 'Biological activity' and 'Pharmacology' for adaptogens *sigh*

No comments: